Freeman returns to Xavier

Libby Arnold, Sports Writer

Xavier football, basketball and track athlete is now the head varsity boys’ basketball coach. Xavier High School will welcome back Coach Mike Freeman, graduate of the class of 2001.

“This is an exciting time for me and my family. To lead the basketball program where I went to school is an awesome honor,” Freeman said. “I am really excited about getting going, getting with the players and getting ready for our season.”

Being a part of the Xavier community is important to Coach Freeman and his family.

“Being an alum, Xavier is an important place for me and my family. My kids go to St. Matthew’s Elementary School and my wife works there as well,” Freeman said. “It has been in our family for many years so being a part of a place that is so special to all of us just makes it a little sweeter. I will try and make an impact in the Xavier community.”

Coach Freeman has an experienced coaching background at a variety of schools and divisions.

“I was a student manager at the University of Iowa for Coach Steve Alford, assistant coach at Lambuth University in Tennessee, also coached at the University of Idaho for six years at the division one level, and I have been an assistant coach for Coe College for the past six years,” Freeman said.

Soon to be seniors, Davis Wagner and Tre McCrary are both excited to have Coach Freeman join the program.

“Having a new coach is going to be a learning curve, but I am excited to see what he brings to the table and what we can accomplish as a team,” McCrary said.

The Xavier boys’ basketball program graduated seven seniors this last year and they are already looking forward to starting next season.

“I cannot wait to get to work with our new coach and all the guys for my last year. It is going to be a special season,” Wagner said.

Not only are the players excited, but Coach Freeman is excited to make his Xavier coaching debut.

Freeman said, “I am most excited for putting a product on the floor that the Xavier community is going to be proud of.”