Xpress

Cyclone for now, Jayhawk forever

Lauren Nelson, Opinion Writer

Far above the golden valley, glorious to view. Stands our noble alma mater, towering toward the blue… The start to what I always thought would be my alma mater. Growing up I heard this song numerous times, at home games in Allen Fieldhouse, after a big win, at my brother’s college visit, at my college visit and just whenever one of us felt like singing it. I knew the words to the University of Kansas alma mater before I even entered middle school and I thought that would totally come in handy when I was at freshman orientation for the class of 2023. But things change, and as some of you may know, I will not be at that orientation. Instead, I will be in the evil Hilton Coliseum for my orientation. This of course means I will be attending Iowa State University in the fall rather then the presumed University of Kansas. Which is a shock to many including myself.

I never thought I would be going to ISU until I visited. Once I was there and saw the early childhood education program I knew that was the perfect program for me. They had everything I asked for; it almost felt like a trap, and if it is a trap then I fell for it. So, after visiting, I had a lot of thinking to do. I already knew I loved Kansas. It was where I felt comfortable. I knew I would thrive at Kansas when it came to sports but their early childhood program lacked what I wanted, which led me to the hardest decision of my life, to attend ISU instead of KU.

KU, the college I wore across my chest at least once a week, the college I would scream at the TV for, the college my mom and dad went to and, most importantly, the college in my blood. However, it was also the college I wasn’t going to anymore. I suddenly wasn’t certain of anything in my life. It took a lot of growing and a lot of tears but now I know what I am certain about.

I am certain college is about education and going to ISU is the right choice for my educational needs, transferring is always an option, my family of KU fans still loves me, I am not going to ISU for anyone but myself, my kids WILL be Jayhawk fans (none of that yellow and red in my house) and I am most certain I am only a cyclone for now but a Jayhawk forever. ….Lift the chorus ever onward, Crimson and the blue. Hail to thee, our alma mater, hail to old KU.

The student news site of Xavier High School
Cyclone for now, Jayhawk forever