Love your job

Lexi Ferden, Opinion Writer

“You don’t want to do that, it doesn’t make a lot.” “I don’t think you could do that.” “How are you going to do that?” These are just a few comments I have received multiple times from others that have affected my confidence and willingness to do things I originally would’ve loved to do. Excuse after excuse has gotten in the way of what I’d truly love to do after my high school career ends.

Graduation is coming soon, and throughout high school I’ve been trying to decide what I’d like to do. I’m the type of person who usually listens to others no matter what. This is a great trait to have, yet also a bad one. Others’ opinions are important to me, and although I respect them, I’ve become confused as to what I truly want to do with my life. Originally, my dream job was to become an interior designer, but now it seems that’s not even an option because of the things other people have said.

There is such a great importance in making sure you’re doing what you’d like to do. If you are striving to do what you love in life, then you’ll inspire others, be more productive, feel more fulfilled and be successful. Life is way too short to be doing something you don’t love. Why waste your life not doing you? There is a career or hobby out there for everyone. Even if you aren’t all that sure, it’s okay! Just make sure to work hard to achieve your goals.

Not only should you do what you love as a career, but you should always do things that make you happy as well. If you want to sing, then sing. If you want to eat a whole pizza by yourself, then do it! If you want to dance or play a sport even if you aren’t good, go for it! Do what you love in order to live a fulfilled life. Like I said, there is something out there for everyone. It doesn’t matter if you’re good or not, and it doesn’t matter what others think as long as you’re happy. Someone once told me, “Sometimes people are better at things than you, but that’s okay.” Everyone has something they’re good at, but you don’t have to be good at something to do it.

Please, do what you love. Although others’ opinions are important when it comes to future and present decisions, they can also make the choice more difficult, and can decrease confidence. At the end of the day, it is your decision and what you decide on should be something that you’d love to do, like the adventures I’ve taken in my life.