Girl Scout Gold Award

Lauren Ulveling, A&E Writer

The Girl Scout law states, “I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong, and responsible for what I say and do, and to respect myself and others, respect authority use resources wisely, make the world a better place and be a sister to every Girl Scout.” Girl Scouts promise to make the world a better place. The Gold Award, the highest award in Girl Scouts, gives girls an opportunity to make a lasting impact in their community.

Two Xavier students, seniors Anna Garbe and Lauren Korbel, have earned this prestigious award.

“After earning the Bronze (elementary school) and Silver (middle school) Awards, I wanted to earn the Gold Award,” Korbel said. “I wanted to make a difference in the community through completing a Gold Award project. Only about 5% of eligible Girl Scouts earn the Gold Award, so I wanted to be part of this prestigious group of girls who have earned the award.”

Korbel has been a Girl Scout since kindergarten.

“When I decided I wanted to complete my Gold Award, I contacted local organizations to ask if they had a project I could complete. After investigating multiple options, I decided to install a rainwater collection system at the Prairiewoods garden,” Korbel said. “I installed gutters on the roof of a building and built a stand for two rain barrels. The gutters collect rainwater into the rain barrels that the volunteers can use to water the garden, which provides food for the Metro Catholic Outreach food pantry.”

Garbe has been in Girl Scouts since first grade.

“I enjoy the opportunities, such as camping and service, and the friendships I have made,” Garbe said.

Garbe has also earned her gold award this year.

“After looking into different local charities, I saw that I could help improve the composting system at one of the area gardens that donates to Metro Catholic Outreach,” Garbe said.

If someone is interested in earning the Gold Award, talk to the troop leader, research the needs in the community and pick one that inspires and is a challenge.

“I would advise younger girls to stay in Girl Scouts because it is fun and provides them with unique opportunities. I would advise them to complete the Gold Award because it is rewarding to make a difference in the community,” Korbel said.