Xpress

Shaving for a cure

Jenae Marshall, News Writer

A Xavier teacher continues to show his support for the sixth year in a row. Physics teacher, Mr. Darrin Ellsworth, plans to shave his head during the Xavier spring pep assembly in the Ron Thillen Gymnasium on April 15. He is shaving his head for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a non-profit organization that raises money to find cures for childhood cancers. St. Baldrick’s is a private charity and does not receive any money from the government; the money used to fund their research is donated by many different sponsors. If a participant does not want to shave their head, they can simply donate money to provide grants for research. Research helps aid in the process of finding a cure for cancer.

click ‘donate here’ to donate:

Donate here:

“People can find any service that connects with them and they do not have to have money, they can have time, talent or hair to give,” Ellsworth said.

He encourages everyone to donate to any group or foundation because every dollar makes a difference for the thousands of infants, children, teens and young adults fighting various cancers. Ellsworth has a lot of appreciation for all of those who have donated to fund the research.

Ellsworth’s goal is to raise $1,500 through friendly competition. The Xavier grades will compete against each other to see which grade can raise the most money. Jars will be placed outside of the theology classrooms during the first two weeks of April. The class that raises the most will have a few students selected to shave Ellsworth’s head during the spring pep assembly.

Principal Ms. Angela Olson thinks shaving Ellsworth’s head during the assembly is a great way to show faculty involvement.

Olson said, “This is what he does as service and it is a great way for the students to see the teachers serve.”

The student news site of Xavier High School
Shaving for a cure