Awards with art

Cody Clemenson, A&E Writer

Seven Xavier students will have their works of art on display at YAM art show in Des Moines. Xavier has had three students take home high awards, including the Governor’s Award and Sargent Award; and four more have been recognized for their excellency.

Senior Nathan Hagarty received the Governor’s Award for his work “Bee Happy.” It will be displayed in the Governor’s Office for the month of March. The artwork also received an honorable mention from Scholastic. Hagarty had a second piece of artwork win an award as well; his work “Smog” won a Gold Key from Scholastic, which qualifies it to be judged on a national level in New York.

Artwork by Xavier senior Nathan Hagarty. Photo Submitted.

“The students submit one of their works themselves to be judged by art teachers all around Iowa who are a part of the art association,” Xavier art teacher Mrs. Jess Budde said. “The honors are quite high for some of the awards, such as the Sargent Award; only four people in the state receive it.”

Junior Danielle Oberfoell also had a piece of artwork receive a Gold Key. Her work, “California Crisis: A Dedication” received the award from Scholastic as well. Another junior, Elizabeth Swiderski, also won awards. A Sargent Award was given to her for her work “Emotional Overload.” It will be displayed with high honors for a whole month at a youth art show in Des Moines. The same artwork also received a Silver Key Award from Scholastic.

“I’m really excited about my art being on display,” Swiderski said, “I think that seeing artwork in person is a different experience than looking at a picture of it on Instagram or something, so I’m really looking forward to people being able to see my artwork right in front of them.”

Juniors Taylor Coester, Nicole Constant and senior PJ Murray will be displayed for their digital photography. Senior Maddy Andresen will also be displayed for her acrylic painting. Finally, Hagarty, Oberfoell and Swiderski’s works will also all be displayed at the art show as well.