Xpress

Recovery to comeback

Grace Ries, Assistant Sports Editor

Two ACL injuries will not stop one basketball player from playing the game. Sophomore Jaylon Moses returns from his previous injuries after tearing his ACL twice.

“I tore it the first time by doing an alley-oop in a game, and when I landed, a defender ran into me and it tore my right ACL,” Moses said. “The second time was in practice and I did an alley-oop and landed on the same leg and it tore again.”

Moses’s recovery has taken him a year and a half, leaving him eager to get back in action.

“It feels good to be on the court with them and to play,” Moses said. “I cannot wait for us to keep playing and working to get to state.”

Sophomore Jaylon Moses goes in for a layup during a game against Linn-Mar High School on Friday, January 11. Maddy Andresen Photo.

The effort by Moses has not gone unnoticed, especially by his teammates.

“Since being back, Jaylon has brought our team a lot of energy,” senior and team captain Kyle Moeder said. “He has been a great offensive presence for us and has been a great spark on both ends of the floor.”

Moeder knows how hard it is to recover from a knee injury, even two. However, Moses came back timid while playing and is trying to get his confidence with the help of his teammates and coaches.

“Having Jaylon back in the line-up gives our team a big boost,” head Coach Ryan Luehrsmann said. “He is a terrific shooter and skilled player with great length. The sky is the limit for Jaylon if he continues to work at it.”

The coaches have taken it slow for Moses, to get him back into rhythm, and they are gradually bringing him along.

“Off the court, he is a guy that is committed to getting better year round. He sets a great example for other guys in our program in how dedicated you need to be,” Coach Luehrsmann said.

The team will be back in action on their home court against Waterloo East on Monday, February 4 at 7:30 p.m.

The student news site of Xavier High School
Recovery to comeback