March for Life

Cate Tucker, News Assistant Editor

Thousands of people from different states, backgrounds and religions came together at the National Mall in Washington D.C. on Friday, January 18 to raise awareness about one topic: life. Thousands advocated for all people who face injustice in this world during the 46th annual March For Life event. The March For Life organization was founded in 1973 after the Roe vs. Wade case, which made abortions legal in the United States, according to USA Today. The first march took place on January 22, 1974 and became a yearly event ever since in hopes of reversing the Roe vs. Wade decision.

Xavier students have participated in this march in the past, but due to weather conditions, students have not been able to make it to the march the last three years. In 2016, Xavier students had to leave early from D.C. to avoid a winter storm, and in 2017, an ice storm made traveling to Chicago too dangerous after an attempt to attend a local march.

“Students and adults that attended in the past were moved by the number of people who are passionate about life issues,” campus ministry staff member Mrs. Jody Esker said. “Students can participate in this movement without having to go to D.C. by joining the #fastforlife movement online or by praying for the sanctity of life.”

March for Life is a non-profit organization that is funded by crowdfunding and celebrity donations and organized by the March for Life Education and Defense Fund. The march to end abortion did not take place just in Washington D.C., there were marches in Minnesota, Paris, Georgia, Canada and several other states and countries across the globe.

“Seeing so many others at the march definitely gave me a sense that I am not alone in my beliefs,” social studies teacher Ms. Gineal Schrunk said. “I would recommend going to the March for Life because it is a beautiful way to demonstrate gratitude for your own life.”