Speech Showcase

Hayley Seymour, A&E Writer

The Xavier Speech Team poses for a picture at the Speech Showcase in the Regis-LaSalle Theater on Monday, January 14. Laura Travagiakis Photo.

Last year, Xavier High School’s speech team, as a whole, earned 21 Division I ratings and five Division II ratings at the 2018 Individual Events State Speech. Of those Division I ratings, seven received All-State nominations, which broke the previous school record. One large group and speech ensemble earned qualifications for the All-State Speech Festival.

Scott Davidson, Lisa Streif, and Laura Travagiakis are the coaches of the Xavier Speech team.

Every year, before the competition season officially kicks off, Xavier hosts a Speech Showcase. This event was held Monday, January 14 at Xavier. The showcase was a chance for family and friends to get an advanced look at the performances free of charge.

“The showcase is fun because it is technically a rehearsal, but we have an audience,” Davidson said. “It really helps the students because having an audience means they have to be ready for anything. Audiences often react to different scenes in surprising ways, so it is nice to get those reactions before the contest.”

Speech students began one hour rehearsals, once or twice a week, at the end of November.

“I like the showcase a lot because it gives students a chance to come see the speech team perform at no cost, it is somewhere close that they know how to get to, and all while hanging out with friends” junior Devin Muresan said.

Speech will compete on January 19 at Monticello High School.