Practice makes perfect

Quinn Hanigan, Sports Writer

The boys’ swim team is back in season, and Xavier senior Rory Bostwick is preparing to compete again with the Washington Warriors. Although this is Bostwick’s final year, he has not lost any of his energy or vigor for the sport.

“There will not be any days off this year, especially if I want to qualify for districts and state,” Bostwick said.

The boys have an exhausting schedule.

“We practice six days a week. Twice on Tuesday and Thursday in the morning at 5:30 to 7 a.m.,  and from 3:15 to 6:30 p.m., and on Saturday from 7:45 to 11:30 a.m.,” Bostwick said. “Our team gets along really well which helps us stay focused on swimming.”

The Warriors won districts last year, and it is a cumulative goal for the team to make the same achievement this year. Bostwick was out for a few months with a broken toe during last year’s season, but he still managed to swim in several events at districts and help the team win the meet. With help of coaches Chris Cruise and Matt Sinnott, he is expecting to do better this year.

“Our coaches are great and they help me all the time in practice and at meets to improve my stroke and get faster,” Bostwick said.

The coaches efforts to better their swimmers make the season more enjoyable for everyone involved.

“Each of them do a great job customizing our sets every day to improve each person’s specific event,” Xavier junior Mitchell Talyat said.

Several strong swimmers from last year’s team graduated, making the pressure high for new leaders to emerge. The next meet for the Warriors is January 3 against Dubuque Senior at Washington High School.