An unforeseen send off

Matt Scieszinski, Copy Editor

“When you understand, that what you’re telling is just a story. It isn’t happening anymore. When you realize the story you’re telling is just words, when you can just crumble up and throw your past in the trash can, then we’ll figure out who you’re going to be.” ― Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters.

I never anticipated how this would come so soon, but I’ll take what I can get. December 21, 2018: my early graduation.

Throughout my three and a half years of struggle, enjoyment and growing from the grueling process of trying to survive high school, I have encountered many people in my life that would make me who I am today.

I’ve come to realize how much change I’m capable of creating within others and especially myself. You could have told freshman year me that I was going to be a shoulder to cry on, and I would have replied that my shoulder was too lumpy to lie on. Physically, that’s still true. In every other aspect, I’ve saved countless lives that were going through breakups and others on the edge of succumbing to the darkness of depression. There are so many people I’ve realized that I created change in and have come to known, all while thinking I was going to end up forever alone.

Every one of those people taught me a new facet of life and erased the unexplainable guilt I never realized I carried. It was Mr. Farrell and Mrs. Wagner and our endless discussions on the perplexities of our generation. It was Mrs. Marshall and our recommendations of good books to read. It was Mrs. Burgeson lighting the spark in me to pursue something in English beyond high school. It was Ms. Hayes who has watched me grow throughout these three and a half years; who showed me what more I can do for myself even when I can’t see my feet on the path. And it was the  people who’ve managed to hurt me and remove me from their life, for they have taught me strength and perseverance. I hope you grow into mature people capable of doing anything. I wish you all the best. I am a product of all these people and everyone I’ve ever met and wouldn’t dare to wish for any of these interactions to change.

In my experiences and imagination, I see so many of my friends dwelling on the past and hurrying to rush the present. We all strive to achieve our bright future. I, like so many, want the promise of financial success, new beginnings and a better outlook on life. Yet I see so many news stories of humanity’s failure ,including Church sex scandals, terrorist attacks and the normalization of drugs, sex and death. You may start to question yourself: when did the future start to become more of a threat rather than a promise?  There’s no need to fret; the future is in good hands.

Our generation is extremely fortunate to have the courage to make great developments in our lives. We are finally taking action by going out to political rallies and raising money for cancer and disease research.

Life is a long, worn-out journey on a path of potholes and cracks. Whilst walking on it, there’s an extremely dense fog, a flooding rain storm and you are wearing those blackout glasses they give eye patients when they have their eyes dilated to full bloom. In an odd and twisted way, I am saying you won’t —  you shouldn’t — see where life takes you, but you will know you are walking forward. I leave you with this: take your time. Life isn’t going anywhere. Things are going to change from slightly worse to slightly better. It’s going to be okay — somehow.