Deegan earns top chair

Christine Hilario

More stories from Christine Hilario

Dear freshman me
May 13, 2020

Drum major, first clarinet, first tenor saxophone, Sean Deegan has done it all. And now, Deegan has been selected as the top clarinetist for the All-State Band.

The All-State Band and Orchestra are highly selective ensembles for the top high school musicians in Iowa. Usually, between 40-70 clarinets audition, and only 12 spots are available.

All-State Auditions took place October 20, at Independence High School and lasted the entire day.

“The day of All-State auditions is always a bit chaotic,” Deegan said.

This was Deegan’s third year auditioning for All-State. According to band director Ms. Kelli Swehla, Deegan used his past experience to his advantage.

“Sean had a great experience at All-State last year as a sophomore and was selected as alternate. He used that as fuel this year to put forth a great audition day,” Swehla said.

Deegan was confident after his first audition.

“I specifically remember karate-chopping the air as soon as I left the classroom [where the audition took place],” Deegan said.

His successful audition led him to have a call-back later in the day.

For call-backs, 16 clarinetists are usually recalled and four are eliminated.

When the results were posted, Deegan found he was the top clarinetist for All-State Band.

“When I found out, I jumped very, very high in the air and yelled. I was not confident that I had made All-State, let alone gotten the top chair in the band. It was very unexpected, and I hugged a lot of people,” Deegan said.

The All-State Music Festival will take place November 15-17. The All-State Band, Orchestra, and Choir will perform in a concert on the 17 at the Jacobson Athletic Building in Ames, Iowa.