Daniels finds future home

Keera Ball, Sports Editor

Many kids have heard “If you dream it, you can do it”. This applied to junior Caitlynn Daniels when her dreams came true as she verbally committed to the University of Alabama Birmingham (UAB) on October 1 to continue her academic and basketball careers. The UAB Blazers, part of Conference USA, went 27-7 last season.

“Coach Norton and the staff really made me feel like I belonged there,” Daniels said. “I really liked the facilities, people and the fact it never snows. I have always had a goal of playing division one basketball.”

Daniels had received other offers from Bradley, Loyola, Nebraska Omaha, Southern Illinois and Western Illinois.

“It was not a super hard decision for me,” Daniels said. “After I went on my unofficial visit, I really felt like it was the place for me. I still wanted to check  out other schools to make sure I wasn’t missing out on anything better, but UAB felt like home.”

As a sophomore, Daniels averaged 11.6 points and 5.1 assists per game earning Second-Team All-State honors.

“Caitlynn can impact any team she plays on,” junior teammate Libby Arnold said. “She is such a hard worker and UAB is lucky to have her.”

Although Daniels picked her future home, she still looks forward for her time as a Saint.

“This season, I am looking forward to playing a new style and spending time with my teammates, on and off the court,” Daniels said.

The girls’ basketball season officially started on Monday, November 5. With the leadership of Daniels, the girls are looking to have a successful season.

“A big goal for the season is to make it to state,” Arnold said. “Caitlynn is a great leader for our team. She helps us on and off the court with offense, defense and making us laugh.”

The Saints compete in their season opener on Tuesday, November 20 at Davenport Assumption at 7:30 p.m.