Stutzman steps up

It takes a special person to step up and help an organization, especially when that organization has been in your family your whole life. Junior Maggie Stutzman and campus ministry staff member, Mrs. Jody Esker have taken initiative in setting up the diapers and wipes drive that started the week of October 8 and ended the 19. This drive benefits Young Parents Network (YPN),  a local nonprofit organization that helps low income families in the community. Esker and Stutzman helped organize this drive to get Xavier students involved in their community during Respect Life Month.

This drive will help families who have to choose between diapers or food, which shouldn’t have to be an option.

— Maggie Stutzman

“I find it rewarding helping those families that are less fortunate and can’t always afford basic necessities for their children,” Stutzman said. “This drive will help families who have to choose between diapers or food, which shouldn’t have to be an option.”

Diapers for one child cost almost $1,000 per year, and low income families  often have to give up basic necessities in order to take care of their baby. YPN has served 3,453 families and 197,000 diapers have been distributed over 25 years.

The YPN has also supplied families with children’s clothing, books, toys and baby care products. Their mission is to help empower families to help create a brighter and hopeful future for them. Since 1985, YPN has been supporting parents who are not ready for a child or are not in the best position to raise a child. Stutzman got the word out through posters, announcements, and tweets.

“I’m excited whenever a student takes initiative to create a service project,” theology teacher and campus ministry staff member, Mrs. Erica Ireland said. “This project for YPN is close to Maggie, and for her to set up a drive to fulfill a need for others is spectacular.”

Respect Life Month is not only about raising awareness on issues such as abortion and euthanasia, but helping those who chose life but cannot always raise children in the best environment.

By providing diapers and wipes for the drive, it helps growing families in this community receive basic needs for their children to thrive.