Hardwork pays off

Quinn Hanigan, Sports Writer

Not everyone would get up at 4:45 a.m. to go jump in a swimming pool. Junior swimmer Maddie Gannon is one of those rare types of people. Gannon has swam competitively for most of her life and is now achieving times better than before. She swims for Kennedy High School as a part of the Cedar Rapids co-op.

She continues to impress her coaches and teammates in her attitude, ability and drive.

“Maddie is the type of kid you want to keep around; she brings high energy, spontaneity to the team, she is a fast learner, a team player and overall an athlete that is easy to work with,” Coach Ivan Sanchez said.

Gannon has been having a lot of success, placing in almost everything she competes in and breaking personal records in the 200 freestyle and 100 fly. Last year, Gannon was nervous before competing, but with more experience, she has changed her mind set.

“This year I decided I am not going to let the nerves get to me. It is going so much better, and I am very happy with our team chemistry this year. I enjoy all of the people there,” Gannon said.

Coach Sanchez also believes the chemistry of the team this year is better than previous years.

“They are a big swim family, and I am proud to say our team is very close and good at supporting each other in and out of the pool,” Coach Sanchez said.

The Cougars swam against Iowa City West on Tuesday, October 2. Their next meet is on Saturday, October 13 at Linn Mar High School starting at noon.