Cervantes is back

Christine Hilario, A&E Writer

Mr. Michael Cervantes was Washington High School’s drama director for 22 years. He decided to retire from Washington in 2007. However, he didn’t stay retired. That same year, he started directing for Xavier. After eight years of working at Xavier, Mr. Cervantes attempted to retire again, but he couldn’t find a suitable replacement. He stayed on for another year and retired officially in 2015 when Ms. Sarah Hayes replaced him. When Ms. Hayes stepped down last year, Mr. Cervantes was contacted.

“I knew that Ms. Hayes had a very, very heavy academic load, and she felt she needed to give more time to that than the theater. She reached out and she wanted to know if I wanted to [direct] and I said yes,” Mr. Cervantes said.

Mr. Cervantes had assistance in selecting this year’s musical, Sister Act.

“Sister Act was a suggestion from Ms. [Kelli] Swehla,” Mr. Cervantes said. “I had seen the movie Sister Act, and then it became a Broadway show. Over the summer, I watched the bootleg and it just seemed that it would lend itself pretty well to a high school, especially a Catholic one. It’s a funny show with great music to it.”

Ms. Swehla, who directs the pit orchestra, and Mr. Cervantes had worked together in previous musicals at Xavier.

“I’m thankful to be working with someone whom I have so much previous experience,” Ms. Swehla said. “We’ve known each other for a long time and work well together. He brings me Dunkin’ coffee a lot, too – and that’s a definite perk.”

Along with Sister Act, Mr. Cervantes will be directing this year’s spring play, which is yet to be decided.

Sister Act premieres Friday, November 9 and closes Sunday, November 11.