Braksiek makes golf “her job”

Keera Ball, Sports Editor

Many aspiring athletes have heard “hard work results in success”. This applied to junior Ellie Braksiek, as she won the Rotary Pribyl Junior Golf Classic on August 1. The Pribyl is the biggest junior golf tournament in Cedar Rapids. The three-day tournament took place at Hunters Ridge, Cedar Rapids Country Club, and Elmcrest Country Club.

“It felt really good to win,” Braksiek said. “This was the first year girls could compete in the tournament, so to be the first girl to win, it feels even better.”

Braksiek competed in four other tournaments this summer and golfed every day for three to five hours. She went into the tournament well prepared.

“Going into the tournament, I knew I had a good chance to win,” Braksiek said. “After I had a really solid first day, shooting 77 at Hunters, it gave me confidence for the next two days.”

Braksiek’s work does not go unnoticed.

“Ellie is dedicated to making golfing her job,” Coach Julie Kadlec said. “She has earned everything she gets from the game of golf. She is a leader by example and motivates her teammates to work hard.”

Braksiek has already set goals for the upcoming season.

“My biggest goal this high school season is to make it to state as a team,” Braksiek said. “My individual goal for the season is to bring my stroke average down into the 30’s and win a couple of tournaments.”

Golf requires a lot of mental toughness.

“Ellie is meticulous,” Coach Kadlec said. “She always contains composure during competitions and stays ahead of her opponents mentally.”

Coach Kadlec believes there is no limit for what Braksiek can do.

“In my opinion, it would be wrong of me to put any limit of her potential after winning the first ever girls’ Pribyl Tournament,” Coach Kadlec said. “She has aspirations of becoming a state champion.”

The first meet is on Thursday, April 4 against Jefferson and Prairie at Jones Park Golf Course at 3:15 p.m..

Photo submitted
Junior Ellie Braksiek takes a swing while practicing last spring.