Heat conditions cancel meet

Quinn Hanigan, Sports Writer

The stifling heat and muggy atmosphere were not the perfect conditions the Xavier girls’ cross country team were looking to start their season. August 25 was a hot day at Prairie High School, but the meet went on despite the weather. Heat stroke was an element and unknown threat to all runners. By the end of the meet, 18 people passed out for this very reason. The junior varsity meet was supposed to occur after varsity, but it was canceled because of the dangerous conditions.

Junior varsity runner junior Grace Ries watched in horror at the people collapsing during the race. She was comforted when she heard the news that she would not be running that day.

“I was terrified watching everyone drop like flies at the finish line and on the course,” Ries said. “I was almost in tears I was so nervous about my race. When I got told it was canceled, my teammates and I were so relieved.”

Not enough paramedics were at the sight to assist everyone in need.

“The girl in first place passed out and you could see her body shaking,” said junior varisty runner junior Ellie Tanko. “Everyone was scared for her.”

Senior Bridget Schmitt didn’t pass out, but she had an asthma attack that interfered with her finishing the race.

“I was having trouble breathing and all of the sudden, I couldn’t breathe anymore and I collapsed off of the course,” Schmitt said. “It took a long time to recover but after a half an hour or so, I was back to normal.”

No Xavier runners passed out, but five students from other schools had to be rushed away on ambulances.

The heat did not daunt the girls however, and they continue preparing and training for the meets to come. Their next meet is Thursday, September 13 at Birdsall Park in Cedar Falls at 4:30 p.m.