I love you the most

Lauryn Montuoro, Opinion Writer

As I look through the scrapbook my mom made me for my high school graduation, I stumbled upon this letter my mom had kept that I wrote when I was eight:

Dear Mom and Dad,

The letter and pictures warmed my heart. The pictures made me think of when I was a mini doodle. (Doodle had been my dad’s nickname for me for as long as I can remember). This doesn’t mean that I am not your little girl anymore. I love you most. Love, Lauryn.

“I love you most” has been something that my parents and I have said to each other for as long as I can remember. Every day before I leave for school and every night before I go to bed, I always hear those four words. Lately, hearing these words makes me nostalgic about leaving behind everything that I know for a new beginning.

My mom and dad are what you would call pushers (yes, like from Mean Girls). They are constantly pushing me to be better at everything I do and always see dreams ahead of me that I feel are out of reach. They always have my back in any situation and even if I am wrong, they are able to teach me some important life lessons. They have taught me amazing people skills and are always cheering me on in any activity I am in. When I doubt myself, they are always a step ahead and have a way of making me feel like I have total control over life. My parents believe in me all the time, and that’s what makes every day a little bit easier than the last.

I could easily write a twenty paragraph essay as to why I love my parents so much, but my main focus is that they make my world go around. Having an amazing support system makes it even harder to leave in just a few months. I have no clue what it’s going to be like waking up and going to bed without hearing those four words, but I do know that they have given me all of the skills and resources I need to make my future a bright one.

So to my mom and dad,

As I get ready to leave what is comfortable and embark on a new adventure with dreams and aspirations that seem they are out of reach, I know that a piece of me will always be with you. I may not always be the same little girl I was in second grade, but on May 20th I will give up who I have been, for who I have now become. Thank you for endless love, support, and life lessons. I love you most.

Love, Doodle

Lauryn Montuoro

Opinion Writer