Xpress

Dear Ella,

Mary Tallett, Opinion Editor

As I sit down to write my last article for The Xpress, it doesn’t feel right to dedicate it to my past, but rather the future. The future is you, Ella. Next year you will enter the halls where Katie, our older sister, and I learned, experienced, and suffered (a little bit.) It might seem strange to enter these halls, feeling the nostalgia that we were once there, but little Ella, I want you to use the nostalgia as comfort that we are there for every step of your high school journey. More importantly, I want you to know you can find us in the “I can’t believe I did that,” moments especially since the Talletts are problematic people.

Like you may do, I signed up Key Club for all four years, but only completed the mandatory service hours once (this year.) I mean, you get busy with schoolwork and that’s okay, but always be optimistic and try again the next year to reach the hours! I was quiet at football games, because despite all of my attempts, I just don’t understand football. This is okay. We really aren’t a sporty family, but go support anyways! I forgot my lunch time after time. You’re very organized so this probably won’t happen, but in a strange occurrence that it does, it is okay because mom is awesome and will drop it off. I was skeptical about Kairos and didn’t plan to go until the day before K-26 left. Sign up right away, even if you’re skeptical, because you WILL want to experience that. Lastly, I hit a car in the parking lot. Yes it was horrible, but remember people at Xavier are nice and won’t be too upset. It’ll be okay, just make sure to leave a note with your number.

As I have told you time after time, lovely Ella, you’re one confetti cake kind of girl (meaning you are one of a kind,) so you may experience different, foreign things than Katie and me, and that is okay. Use high school to push yourself to begin the process of finding who you are, use the resources around you, and ask all the questions swimming in your intellectual, agile brain. But I want you to remember that in almost all moments (especially the awkward ones,) you can find me right by your side.

Love, Mary

Mary Tallett 

Opinion Editor

• Media

Homecoming 2018

• Photos

School Spirit Photo Contest

• Dear Ella,

Backpage, Feature and Mini, Health and Lifestyle, and Student Life pages

Mental Health Awareness

• Dear Ella,

Fall Harvest Bucket List

• Dear Ella,

Who’s Your Team?

• Dear Ella,

Backpage

Homecoming Proposals

• Opinion

Always more to the story…

• Dear Ella,

Showcase

Cover: Senior Issue

• Dear Ella,

Backpage

In the Blink of an Eye: Newspaper Senior Staff

• Dear Ella,

Arts & Entertainment

Saints shine at Galaxy

The student news site of Xavier High School
Dear Ella,