Near, far, wherever we are

Nicole Hassenstab, A&E Writer

When it comes to reflecting on my senior year, I am reminded of one of my favorite movies: Titanic. Throughout high school, there were times it felt like I was on a sinking ship, and other times I felt like I was the “king of the world.” No matter what icebergs I happened to hit over the past four years, my friends were there for me and kept me afloat through it all. Now that we are headed our separate ways, I’ve had a reality check and have learned to cherish every little moment with you guys. From movie nights sobbing over Jack and Rose, to driving aimlessly with the windows down screaming along to “Shut Up and Dance,” our memories never cease to make me smile. These past four years have shown me what true friendships look like, have taught me to accept people for who they are, and to embrace their flaws. We had wonderful times where friendship was smooth sailing, and we also had times where it was rough and stormy, but we didn’t give up on each other. Those rough times taught me the most valuable lessons. We learned to apologize, learned to forgive, and learned how to admit when we were wrong. We learned and grew together from those rough patches. Each and every one of you has changed me for the better, and I wouldn’t be who I am today if you hadn’t encouraged me, challenged me, and loved me for who I am. Thank you for never giving up on me and for sticking by me. I have had a support system for the past four years that I never knew I needed: shoulders to cry on, numbers to text late at night, and open ears to vent to. I could never put into words what you all mean to me, and “thank you” doesn’t even begin to cover my gratitude for my time and experiences with you. I am so excited to see where life will take all of us, and I know God has wonderful things in store. No matter if we will be across campus, across the state, or across the Midwest from each other, we all know: near, far, wherever we are, you are here in my heart, and my heart will go on.

Nicole Hassenstab

A&E Writer