Finding my calling

Hanna Bohrer, Student Life Editor

Many things throughout my life have drawn me to elementary education, from my childhood nanny to the children I have nannied and work with at Twisters and St. Matthew’s Care. However, working at Twisters Gymnastics was my  ah-ha moment. I have been coaching preschool gymnastics for the past four years of high school. I am instantly put in a better mood, even on the bright and early Saturday morning classes, by the overwhelming spirit of my three and four year olds. It is hard for me to imagine having a job where children aren’t present, and this is one of the many reasons why I am pursuing a teaching career. Teaching is a passion, not a paycheck. I am so unbelievably grateful I have found an after school job I would do even if I wasn’t getting paid. Most days I walk out of the gym happier than when I entered.

I have learned so much in the past four years. I now know that whispering will get more attention than shouting ever will, and the positive reinforcement of three stamps instead of two will outweigh the punishment of a note to mom. That being said, I have also learned the impact I could have on the future. Elementary education is where I am meant to be because of every single gymnast I have coached over the past few years. They are always ready to learn and are excited to know more about the world around them. I want to provide these children, as well as many more, with that opportunity. I have learned way more from each and every one of them than they will ever know.

To the students at Twisters, you have helped me to find my future. I would like to thank all of your smiling faces and listening ears for reassuring me that I belong in a teaching vocation.

Hanna Bohrer
Student Life Editor