Saints shine at Galaxy

Senior Jimmy Burke performs a Tae Kwon Do demonstration.

Derrick Voss, A&E Writer

The end of the school year is usually filled with a multitude of things students need to worry about. However, many of them still find time to add a talent show to their list of activities. Xavier students had been rehearsing and mastering their acts for Xavier’s talent show, “Galaxy,” which took place on Friday, May 11. There were 30 entries auditioned, with 21 acts being chosen to display their talents for the Xavier community. The show included performers from all grades and even included students from other schools with a performance from senior Keaton Maier’s band, Mansfield Avenue, which consists of five stduents from Washington High School.

This is sophomore Maria Brown’s second year performing at the show. Last year her brother played guitar for her, but this year she had senior Nolan Pithan accompany her somg, “All of Me” by John Legend, on the piano. Her preparation included running through the song with Pithan a few times.

“Last year was really fun to watch because of Ryan Jasper and Sam Rohret’s job as emcees, and this year I was pleasantly suprised with how the emcees did,” Brown said.

This was not Pithan’s first time performing at Galaxy either, as he participated the previous two years. This year not only did he play piano for Brown, but he also sang “Safe Inside” by James Arthur and performed a duet with senior Thomas Tobin. His previous performances were similar, but this year he decided to play and sing rather than have someone play for him.

“My preparation includes transposing music and adapting it to make it possible to play with just the piano,” Pithan said. “Then I normally break it down and try to find places I can add little things to the music to make it special and different.”

The performers may have had nerves going into the show, but they were able to overcome them for their performances.

“I was much more excited than nervous to perform,” Brown said.

Both Brown and Pithan enjoy performing and were expecting successful acts. Pithan’s expectations were high going into the show based on his previous years.

“I’ve performed well in the past, and I think this year’s perfomance was a good end to my run at Xavier,” Pithan said.

Student Senate plans on continuing to showcase student talents for years to come.

Seniors Nolan Pithan and Thomas Tobin perform a cover of “Lay Me Down” by Sam Smith.

Derrick Voss 

A&E Writer