Get out of your comfort zone

Noah Lynch, News Editor

I had been struggling these past couple of weeks while trying to decide what to write my final article in The Xpress. Should I write a letter to someone? Should I thank someone? Should I give advice? How is it even possible to define my entire high school experience in one article? I started brainstorming my favorite memories from each year when I realized they all had one thing in common. The best experiences I had at Xavier came from the times I decided to get out of my comfort zone.

It all started freshman year when I decided to do show choir and choir. I was nervous it wasn’t cool or I wouldn’t have fun; not to mention I had to sing alone in a room full of people for the audition. I had basically convinced myself it wasn’t worth it, but at the last second I decided to try out anyways, and I am so glad I did. The memories I made were some of the best ever. These include eating Perkins’ chicken strip melts at 3 a.m, creating an escape plan from the large group contest, playing Mario Kart on the Voce bus, and obviously, winning five grand championships.

Sophomore year I decided to go out for cross country. I was not a runner at all and I only lasted one year, but again, I tried something I never thought I would and made some great memories from it. My favorite part of the season was when, instead of running during practice, we waited until everyone was far enough ahead that we could hide in Wendy’s and eat frosties instead of practicing.

Junior year I got a job working at the St. Matthews daycare. I hated kids, but the hours were good and I really needed money. I took another step out of my comfort zone and took the job. A full year later, and I never would have believed how happy four and five year olds can make me. Getting paid to go the pool, watch movies, and play foursquare isn’t too bad. Not to mention, I get to spend time with all of my friends who work there as well.

Senior year has been the best yet, and it has 100% been defined by getting to know my classmates. I have really made an effort this year to step outside of my comfort zone and get to know people I didn’t before. I was a techie for the spring play and got to know so many new people. I started to embrace all the amazing people who are in the class of 2018, and I wish I would have done it sooner. I have so many memories from this year that I will never forget and it’s impossible to list them all (Homecoming, Halloween, football state championship, Newspaper, and so many more). But, the most important thing I learned is that life is best lived outside of your comfort zone.

Noah Lynch

News Editor