Saints starting season strong

Keera Ball, Sports Writer

Newbies often get overlooked. However, freshman Miyako Coffey has experienced success this tennis season, and has set the bar high for the rest of the year. Coffey was undefeated in both singles and doubles in the month of April, and hopes to continue this streak.

“I have been practicing and working hard for my first high school season for over a year,” Coffey said. “It feels really good to finally see it all pay off, but I am working to continue my success.”

Coffey usually competes in the number six position for singles, but sees this as a big role.

“I have learned how important the bottom three players are,” Coffey said. “When our top girls are competing against the best players in the state, we need to provide wins for our team.”

Coffey not only brings intensity to the court, but also energy to the team.

“Miyako brings a fun, light hearted presence to the team,” junior teammate and number two position Emily Jasper said. “She is always helping everyone get pumped up and ready to play.”

Whether on or off the court, Coffey enjoys being a part of the girls’ tennis team.

“All of us are really good friends,” Coffey said. “This benefits us when we play doubles together, because we get along so well.”

Teammates have developed a trust with Coffey.

“Miyako is a strong player, especially for our number six,” Jasper said. “We can always count on her to get a win.”

Even with Coffey’s success, she is still nervous when it is time for a meet.

“Tennis involves a lot of pressure, but people often overlook this part of the sport,” Coffey said. “I feel the most pressure when I am the last and deciding match of the meet.”

The Saints competed against defending state champions, Waterloo Columbus Catholic, on Wednesday, May 2. They are back in action tonight, Thursday May 3, at 4 p.m., as they travel to take on Dubuque Senior.

Keera Ball

Sports Writer