Where are the extraordinaires?

Maddy Andresen, Photo Editor

If you take a moment to look at the people you’re surrounded by on a daily basis, what do you see? For me, it usually consists of straight faces, similar styles, mediocre interests, etc. Everyone blends in with one another. There are categories for everyone: the athletes, the music kids, the student section, the brainiacs, and more. But where’s the category for people who want to do or be something different?

People are usually able to adjust themselves to fit into these certain categories, but I don’t want to adjust myself. I know I could be with the athletes since I play soccer, but it’s not my passion. I could be with the brainiacs since I try hard in school, but I’m more than that. I could adjust myself to try and fit into the basic categories, but they aren’t who I truly am. We are not made to fit in, so why do so many people try to?

I want a place where I can share all of my ideas and aspirations for the future. A group for people who can relate to each other and share their untold stories and thoughts. A category for the ones who have a different mindset than most high schoolers. But too many people are afraid to show that side, so there is no category for them or for me. I’ll admit, I fall into the pressure of trying to fit in, and I hide my true self from time to time. When I do this, I fail to realize that not categorizing myself makes me who I am, and I don’t want to hide it.

I know I’m not alone because I’ve met so many people who are extraordinary, they just might not know it themselves. I call these people the extraordinaires. They seem ordinary when you first meet them, they might blend in with the crowd and go along with the basic categories. However, they don’t completely fit into the normal social groups and don’t fully adjust themselves to be something they’re not. If you try hard enough, you can usually tell when someone might not fit right in with their supposed category, and I urge you, when you do find them, talk to them. I’ve done this and I have discovered a completely different person than what most eyes see.

You can discover these people after bringing up conversations about random topics like art, bands, traveling, the sky, and deeper things, like why things are the way they are and people’s thoughts on the meaning of life. These are the types of conversations ordinary people might find uncomfortable or weird, but extraordinary people will divulge all of the thoughts that consume their heads. They have swirling, beautiful minds that are meant to be shared, but since nobody asks, they are left swirling on their own. This category of people can also be the ones with the weird comments or the big dreams; they think outside the of box and have a story that’s worth sharing… if you care to ask.

Where are these extraordinaires? Some might be visible for everyone to see; they’ve already broken out of their cage and shown the world who they are. Others might be shy and hidden behind a category they’ve merged into. They might seem like wallflowers, make weird comments, or have random ideas, but they are extraordinary. They might hesitate to share ideas and can be standoffish because it’s scary to be different, but it doesn’t need to be this way. Once you find others who show interest in all of your crazy thoughts and have their own input, you realize you’re not alone. If you consider yourself an extraordinaire, share your thoughts and do things others might not do, because you are the one who will change this world and do something different. Don’t be afraid to be extraordinary.

Maddy Andresen

Photo Editor