Savoring the final season

Syd Walther, Sports Writer

Change is good, but change can also be scary. The Xavier boys’ tennis team is fully ready to embrace the changes to come this season.

After coming off of its best season in Xavier history, the boys have to adjust to the departure of many seniors, new doubles pairings, and a new lineup for singles.

However, even through all the changes, the goals of the players and the team as a whole have not changed.

“My goal is still to repeat our title from last year and do whatever is necessary to help my team achieve that,” senior Curt Lengemann said. “That has always been the goal.”

As a whole, the seniors are aiming to leave an impact on the season and the program.

“I want to be remembered by always giving it my all on the court, no matter who I was playing,” Lengemann said. “There are some really difficult teams like Iowa City West in our conference, and I want to be known as the guy who always put up a fight against them.”

The boys have a lot of high hopes for themselves, but they are not the only ones. Head Coach Jim Potts believes the seniors will make Xavier proud this season.

Already, Coach Potts sees senior Jon Lansing as one of Xavier’s most memorable tennis players.

“Lansing has had a positive impact on the tennis program,” Coach Potts said. “He leads by example and is a positive role model. He has helped to put Xavier boys’ tennis on the map and has earned respect in our conference.”

Although the senior boys want to be remembered for their talent on the court, they also want to be remembered off of it. They hope future players continue to make the program a fun and welcoming environment.

The boys are currently 1-3 this season. They played on Tuesday, April 17 against Linn Mar. The Saints play again tonight, Thursday, April 19 at Camanche High School.

Syd Walther

Sports Writer