Xavier artists are recognized

Derrick Voss, A&E Writer

Every year since 1961, around 200 students have been recognized by the Council for Art Education (CFAE) during Youth Art Month. This year, Xavier was privileged to have eight students win, two of which received major awards. Youth Art Month encourages support for quality school art programs and promotes art material safety. The theme for the 2017-2018 school year is “Building Community Through Art.”

Originally founded by The Art & Creative Materials Institute, now run by the CFAE, Youth Art Month’s core purpose is to “recognize art education as a viable factor in the total education curricular that develops citizens of a global society,” as stated on their website. They also hope to develop skills in problem solving, creativity, observation, and communication. One highlight of the program is the artwork competition.

Teachers all over the country are allowed to submit up to ten pieces. This year  seniors Claire Iversen and Nina Marquardt received major awards. Iversen won the National Award and Marquardt won the Sergeant Best of Show Award. Winning artwork pieces, including 3D art, are displayed for the public. For Iowa, winners they are displayed at the State Historical Building in Des Moines.

“I know over 500 artworks are submitted and around 200 are awarded. I wouldn’t say I deserve an award, but it’s awesome to receive one!” Iversen said.

This was the first year Xavier art teachers submitted artwork for Youth Art Month. Between the two of them, they submitted 13 pieces.

“Since each teacher is allowed to submit ten, Mrs. Wendt and I had everyone in AP Art submit a piece. Eight students ended up winning,” Budde said. The eight awards Xavier received were the most out of all the schools who submitted.

A reception was held on Saturday March 24 at the State Historical Building with a ceremony honoring the pieces in the afternoon. The Art Department hopes to see Xavier students’ artistic talents appreciated like this for years to come.

Derrick Voss

A&E Writer