Xpress

Strive to have some “Sparks”

Senior Janessa Klein and her Grandma Chris Sparks pose after a Xavier volleyball game. Barb Klein Photo.

Janessa Klein, Opinion Writer

Anyone who has been around my family has most likely heard the phrase, “Oh, Janessa, you are such a ‘Sparks.’” From this comment, I always shake my head and look away. However, after thinking through this statement, I have come to the conclusion that being a “Sparks” is one of the greatest blessings I have received.

My mom’s maiden name is Sparks, and many people say that my grandma, my aunt, my mom, and I all share one similar characteristic: our stubbornness. Some people say it’s the red hair, others say it’s “just a phase,” but I know it is because we all have this special “Sparks” trait.

The first time I can recall my stubborn “Sparks” trait at work was when I was a toddler. Although I am not sure if these moments are remembered from the numerous times my mom has told them or if I actually remember them, they are still very real. When I was a toddler and would misbehave, I would be put in my crib. My parents made it apparent that when I was done crying and ready to be good again, they would get me out of my crib. Well, being the stubborn person I am, I would cry and cry and finally, I would decide my own fate. Instead of my parents deciding when to get me out of my crib, I would decide for myself. Right when I finished crying, I would scream, “Okay Mom and Dad, I am done!” From that day on, I knew I would control what happened to me and allow myself to be stubborn until I was “done.”

Some might say that stubbornness is a poor quality to have, but I highly disagree. Being stubborn to the degree of never listening to someone is bad, yes, but stubbornness in moderation has allowed me to shape my life in the way I have always wanted. If being an advocate for yourself and remaining strong in your values means being stubborn, I will gladly take the title. My stubbornness has taught me to be strong, passionate, motivated, and to never give up. Although it may be hard dealing with a super stubborn person because we tend to get our way, I truly challenge you all to see it as a blessing. Who else goes the extra mile to make sure they are right or that they complete a challenge? Only the stubborn ones will always see things through until the end.

This “Sparks” quality I have inherited is one  I wish was at least partially instilled in everyone. People should never give up and fighting for what they want; I challenge everyone to think this way as well. We all deserve what we want, and we deserve to be proud of the stubbornness inside of us!

Janessa Klein

Opinion Writer

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Showcase

Cover 4/19

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Backpage, Feature and Mini, Health and Lifestyle, and Student Life pages

2 Truths and a Lie

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Before I Die Bucket List

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

It’s All About the Money

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Demerit Notice

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Arts & Entertainment

Cartoon Student Circus: It’s Spring Time

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Arts & Entertainment

Match Artists to Their Artwork

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Arts & Entertainment

Voce shares music on tour

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Opinion

Don’t bandwagon anything

• Strive to have some “Sparks”

Opinion

God’s plan is the only plan

The student news site of Xavier High School
Strive to have some “Sparks”