Jazz makes history

Nicole Hassenstab, A&E Writer

Jazz Band One (JBO) started their competition season in late February, but the group is already setting large goals and making history along the way. JBO made Xavier history on February 17 when they achieved the first ever first place finish in a jazz contest in the school’s history at the Tallcorn Jazz Festival at the University of Northern Iowa. They began their season at the state festival, where they earned a division I rating, followed by three consecutive wins at the Tallcorn Festival, the Coe Jazz Summit, and the NEIBA district contest. JBO received seven outstanding soloist awards at Tallcorn, and senior member Caleb Burken won 3A Outstanding Musician at Coe.

“We have so many great soloists and musicians in our class and in our band. It’s truly mind blowing that I could be recognized for that,” Burken said.

Jazz Band One started rehearsals in November, practicing three times a week at 7 a.m., under the direction of Ms. Kelli Swehla. Rehearsals usually include warm ups, tunings, and running songs. Individual sections will often meet for sectionals, which are run by hired professionals. Soloists in the band have more work and preparation, especially if they are improvisational soloists.

“There is peer pressure involved in a way. Every member expects everyone else in the group to work hard and play well,” senior member and soloist Joseph Bioche said.

Jazz Band One has been nicknamed “The Pineapple Express” after a member purchased a small pineapple at the Tallcorn festival in 2015. That was coincidentally the first year JBO went to the Iowa Jazz Championships. After that success, a pineapple has been onstage for every performance, and JBO has qualified for the championships every year since the pineapple first made its appearance.

After success early in the season, Jazz Band One earned their spot in the 2018 Iowa Jazz Championships with their first place finish at the NEIBA district contest, which was held on March 3rd at Independence High School. Caleb Burken was also named as an honorable mention outstanding performer at the district contest. The Iowa Jazz Championships will be held on April 5 in Ames.

Nicole Hassenstab

A&E Writer