Look forward, not back

Nicole Hassenstab, A&E Writer

I’m a very simple person when it comes to being inspired. I see something that looks cool, and I want to try it. I’ve been inspired by many things, from watching the Olympics, to seeing my neighbor do back handsprings across the backyard. As a child, I tried many activities, hoping that something would click. As it turns out, I was afraid of the soccer ball and I got tired after swimming two laps across the pool. On the bright side, I learned that I had decent balance on the beam, and could skip in a circle like nobody’s business. After realizing I didn’t completely suck at it, I did gymnastics for a few years, but never got that into it. However, the year I went to my sister’s first dance recital everything changed. I threw gymnastics out the window, and started an eight year dance journey full of ups and downs (figuratively and literally).

I liked dancing a lot, and even thought I was pretty good at it, so I threw myself into it. I loved being onstage, trying different styles of dance, and I especially liked the fluffy tutus. I stayed in my perfect ballerina dream for about three years before it came crashing down. As I got older, my improvements slowed and I started having to repeat levels. I became more determined to prove to my teachers and myself that I was good enough. I didn’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t be a dancer, so after that first setback, I stuck with it for five more years. It became a frustrating cycle of trying my hardest and then being crushed when I saw my level placements. No one was forcing me to keep dancing, and I knew I wasn’t making me happy anymore, so why was I still doing it?

The tipping point in my dance career came when I landed a lead role in a community theater show. I was forced to budget my time between rehearsal and dance, and that showed me where my priorities truly were. It became obvious that I had fallen out of love with dance. After a long time of questioning why I was wasting time doing something I didn’t like anymore, when I could be dedicating more time to things I loved, I decided to stop dancing after my sophomore year. My last recital was bittersweet, but I knew I was doing what was best for me, physically and mentally. I was ready to move on and see what else was out there for me.

Quitting dance was a tough decision, but to this day I haven’t looked back or regretted it. Part of me feels like I wasted eight years of my life, but in reality, dance taught me how to dedicate myself to what I am doing, and how to push myself when things get hard. I learned so much as a dancer, and I wouldn’t be the person I am today without those experiences. I can take those life lessons and apply them to any activity I try, no matter how good or bad I am at it. Keeping this in mind has motivated me to pursue new activities in college. People may think college is too late to try new things and I should stick with what I know I can do, but I think that’s silly. I may be starting late, but why not try new things? That’s part of the experience, and I want to get outside of my comfort zone. Sure I know that I won’t be good at everything, and I may make a fool out of myself, but why not give it a go? It is always better late than never.

Nicole Hassenstab

A&E Writer