Xpress

Saints shoot for three-peat

Thomas Bean, Sports Writer

The Xavier boys’ basketball team booked a trip to the state tournament for the fourth year in a row. The Saints played in the substate final on Monday, February 26, where they beat South Tama by a score of 59-56.

The Saints were led by senior small forward Jackson Joens and senior point guard Matt Mims. Both players have been a part of the varsity setup all four years of their high school careers. Each year they have become more and more important to the team’s success. After the substate final, both players etched their names in Xavier basketball history. Mims now holds the school record for career points with 1,204. This record was previously held by Kevin Andrews (X06). Joens now owns the school record for career three pointers at 160. The previous record was held by Adam McDermott (X15).

The Saints began their state tournament run on Tuesday, March 6 against Marion in the Wells Fargo Arena. Xavier was given the number one seed and are favorites for another state title. While they are favorites, the Saints know that they can’t take a day off.

“We have the mind set that we can’t take a game off,” Joens said. “It doesn’t matter who is in front of us, we just have to do our job possession by possession and good things will happen.”

Going in as the number one seed and winning the last two state titles puts a large target on Xavier’s back. Everyone wants to take down Goliath.

“A lot of things are different if you take a look at our team, we have changed a lot,” Mims said, “And also with this being my senior year and my last go around, I’m really making every moment count and taking it all in. I’m going to miss putting on a Xavier jersey for sure.”

The Saints entered the state tournament with an overall record of 18-6 and have won seven of their last eight games.

Thomas Bean

Sports Writer

The student news site of Xavier High School
Saints shoot for three-peat