Protest with a purpose

Senior+Sylvia+Clubb+sits+alone+to+represent+her+stance+on+walkouts.+Kellie+Wagner+Photo.+

Senior Sylvia Clubb sits alone to represent her stance on walkouts. Kellie Wagner Photo.

Sylvia Clubb, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Within the last three weeks, thousands of students have walked out of their schools in protest. The specific thing students are protesting varies across the country; for some, it is a protest against the lenient gun laws we have in America. For others, students walk out in remembrance of the 17 lives lost in Parkland, Florida on February 14. A common message rings throughout these protests; “We need change.”

On February 22, Oprah Winfrey guest-starred on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Oprah talked at length about the support and admiration she has for students speaking out for what they want. She compared this generation’s passion and commitment to change of gun laws to young members of the civil rights movement, such as John Lewis and Diane Nash. However, Oprah also brought up a point that has yet to be addressed by our youth. What is our strategy? What is our plan? Demanding change is simply a request made to those who we view to have more power than our youth. This got me thinking; realistically, what is walking out of a classroom doing for this movement?

We are all aware there needs to be change. There is no question about it. Yet, no real plans or strategies have been formulated as to what we are going to do to change the gun violence heavily prevalent in America. During those scheduled walkouts, students are simply stating the need for change, or otherwise demanding the need for stricter gun laws. While I realize we as young people cannot write a law ourselves, stating that we need a law put in place does nothing in order to achieve our goal. Walkouts simply give accreditation and publicity to students and schools who are participating in them. As soon as I saw an announcement that one area school had walked out of classes in protest, three more followed. Students and faculty were given media time for their efforts in protesting. If all area schools are holding walkouts, and a certain school does not participate, judgement falls on that school. The same can be said for a student who does not wish to participate in a walkout. Societal pressures may be driving the organization of and participation in walkouts. Students simply cannot do something just because it is what is expected of them.

The walkout movement reminds me of NFL players kneeling during the national anthem. While those players are “standing” for change, their actions did not gain any actual change in regards to police brutality, but rather, just brought attention to themselves and their teams. Teams who did not kneel or banned members from kneeling were said to be against black equality. However, these teams just refused to put up with a movement that is not making any change. Instead of trying to draw attention to themselves or their team, they chose to focus and act with a goal in mind, which was winning the game.

If we truly want a change to our legal system, let’s make a plan. Let’s walkout towards a goal. Let’s walk to our local government offices. Let’s attend city council meetings and voice our concerns and suggestions to the people who can implement the change we so desperately need. Words are merely thoughts until a person decides to make them concrete actions. While a walkout may get us publicity on an already hot button topic, a walkout with a specific plan of action in mind will help us attain our goals. All of America is aware of our anguish and astonishment at the recent gun violence. We need to convert that awareness into action. If not now, when? If not us, who?

Sylvia Clubb

Co-Editor-in-Chief