BPA moves on to Nationals

BPA students pose with their awards from the state conference in Des Moines. Bill Devereaux Photo.

Syd Walther, News Writer

The Saints sweep again. The Xavier Business Professionals of America (BPA) students attended the BPA Conference in Des Moines on February 18-20. Twenty eight students qualified for nationals; of these 28, 15 students placed first in their events.

The events are categorized into presentations or computer exams. During the ten minute presentations, each team  must give a viable solution to a rehearsed business problem. During the 60-90 minute computer exams, different tasks are given to complete.

BPA was formerly known as Office Education. It was brought to Xavier ten years ago by its advisor, Mr. Tim O’Brien. O’Brien wanted to bring this activity to Xavier after his first year of teaching because he advised it at his previous school. He found the program to be a door opener for job opportunities, internships, job shadows, and scholarships.

“I think something that is very beneficial to our program is the fact that we hold a regional competition,” O’Brien said. “We try to make it as much like state as possible, give feedback, and bring in judges to critique.”

This unique strategy helped senior Peter Binder to place in the top ten in all eight open events, taking first place in two. Additionally, Xavier competed in 24 limited events; they won 12, placed second in six, and qualified six students for nationals in all but one event.

However, the basic skills learned in BPA do not stop after competition season is over.

“BPA gives me the confidence and skills needed for when I start working in a real work environment,” junior national qualifier Ben Conrad said. “I feel ready to go back to nationals with more experience this year and place better in my events.”

The national qualifiers are given the option to compete in Dallas, Texas on May 8-13.

Syd Walther

News Writer