Schultschik, Thomas wrestle at state

Senior Keegan Schultschik wrestles against his opponent at the MVC Tournament on Saturday, January 27.

Keera Ball, Sports Writer

This wrestling season, there were a variety of hellos and goodbyes. The Saints welcomed freshman Ivan Thomas, who promises a successful career in the future, with a 37-9 record. The Saints said goodbye to senior Keegan Schultschik, who broke many records and brought great leadership to the team.

Thomas and Schultschik both qualified for the state wrestling meet when districts were hosted by Dubuque Senior on Saturday, February 10. The state tournament took place at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines on February 15-17.

Thomas, 106 pounds, wrestled freshman Bryce Parke from Linn-Mar and lost by decision 5-7. Thomas then lost to sophomore Austin Kegley from Prairie, eliminating him from the tournament.

“It was exciting to be in the Wells Fargo Arena and competing for the Saints,” Thomas said. “It was a great experience, and I am hoping for a greater success next year.”

Schultschik, 120 pounds, pinned junior Dayne Cordray from Fort Madison in his first match, then lost by decision twice, eliminating him from the tournament. Schultschik compiled a 34-11 record.

“Wrestling at the Wells Fargo Arena is always a ton of fun,” Schultschik said. “The atmosphere there is incredible.”

Schultschik’s Xavier career came to an end at the state tournament. He collected over 100 wins and broke the nearfall record.

“The thing I am going to miss most about Xavier wrestling is the coaching staff and the team,” Schultschik said. “The environment that the parents, supporters, and fans give us helps us immensely.”

Schultschik has left a mark on Xavier wrestling that has impacted many. He will be remembered by his leadership and hard work.

“Keegan is a great leader in the wrestling room,” Thomas said. “He always worked hard and made others work harder. He made every other wrestler better.”

Thomas has many more Xavier wrestling days ahead of him, and has already set high expectations for himself.

“My goal is to be a state champion,” Thomas said. “I learned a lot from competing at state this year.”

reshman Ivan Thomas wins a match in a meet against Waterloo West on Thursday, February 1. Jen Schultschik Photos.

Keera Ball

Sports Writer