Xavier hosts Cultural Fair

Sophomores Bryana Yanga and Ella Kane present information about foreign countries during the Cultural Fair in the Xavier commons. Vicki Hoffman Photo.

Syd Walther, News Writer

Thanks to a few students, a taste of eight different countries was brought to Xavier. The Cultural Fair took place in the commons on February 7 and contained themed food and posters full of information about various countries. The posters and food were made by students involved in the Spanish and French Clubs at Xavier.

“The Cultural Fair is an amazing opportunity to gather information about other countries through the delicious food and great posters,” Spanish Club moderator Ms. Vicki Hoffman said.

In addition to all of the food and posters, a local DJ attended the fair and taught several students how to do a traditional Latin salsa dance.

“The fair is a great chance to be able to gain a unique perspective on cultures other than our own,” senior Janessa Klein said. “I think it’s really important to be made aware of other countries.”

Senior Kathleen Kenney  is an officer for the Spanish club and helped organize the event.  “It was very enlightening to learn how to properly dance the salsa while enjoying very unique food,” Kenney said.

Although this year’s fair involved several people stoping, Hoffman hopes to make some improvements to make next year’s fair bigger and better.

“Next year I would like people to read all the posters everyone put such hard work into,” Hoffman said. “I want to include a trivia game with prizes for those who can answer the most facts.”

The Cultural Fair is a way for students to explore other cultures in a unique way. It presents a bigger picture of the world to Xavier.

Syd Walther 

News Writer