Xpress

What is so wrong with love

Katie Tallett (X17)(left) and Mary Tallett (right) pose as angels for a photoshoot as toddlers. Anne Tallett Photo.

Mary Tallett, Opinion Editor

In the middle of February many moons ago, I distinctly remember young Mary flailing around Target’s aisles in complete and utter distress, trying to create a beautiful blend of the best candy and the coolest Valentine’s cards for my classmates. I also recall long, tireless hours spent deciding which card should go to which classmate. This was all in preparation for the big day on February 14th, Valentine’s Day. On that day, each child gave and received a plethora of cards and candy. It was simply one of the best days of the year. I always felt an overwhelming amount of warmth from receiving words of love and kindness from my classmates. It was all about the love, until I reached middle school.

In middle school, when February 14th rolled around, it did not seem the same. Giving and receiving Valentine’s cards was strictly forbidden. If someone continued to exchange cards, it was done in the dark corners of the school in a swift, sly manner. This confused me; why does the school not allow us to celebrate Valentine’s Day? It only worsened as I entered high school; Valentine’s Day was completely ignored and I have yet to see a single Valentine’s card on the three February 14th’s I have already experienced. Again, why do we not celebrate the day of love as a high school student?

As we get older, and have a greater understanding of the meaning of love, one would think the day dedicated to the celebration of love would grow larger. Yet, the opposite occurs. It seems as young children, we are taught love can be open and is not a sensitive topic, but as we grow older, the topic becomes overly sensitive and highly classified. I see this reflected in society; there is no question younger children tend to be more affectionate than the older population. My question is when did showing affection become so wrong? I understand as we grow older we do not want to be labeled as the overly public displays of affection type who make everyone uncomfortable. However, a small gesture such as telling someone how much you care about them hardly seems like PDA to me. In other words, I want to see more small gestures of love shown in our society. So I plead to you, this upcoming Valentine’s Day, celebrate the day! Tell your friends, teachers, parents, and classmates you do love them! Because if younger elementary children can do it, you can, too.

• What is so wrong with love

Showcase

Cover: Senior Issue

• What is so wrong with love

Backpage

In the Blink of an Eye: Newspaper Senior Staff

• What is so wrong with love

Arts & Entertainment

Saints shine at Galaxy

• What is so wrong with love

News

2nd annual Senior Walk

• What is so wrong with love

Showcase

Cover 5/3

• What is so wrong with love

Backpage, Feature and Mini, Health and Lifestyle, and Student Life pages

Prom through the Decades

• What is so wrong with love

How to: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

• What is so wrong with love

Backpage

Promposals

• What is so wrong with love

Arts & Entertainment

Cartoon Student Circus

• What is so wrong with love

Showcase

Seniors lead hopes for state soccer

The student news site of Xavier High School
What is so wrong with love