Extreme commitment

Thomas Bean, Sports Writer

Wrestling is one of the oldest sports in human history. It has always been one of the most grueling and extreme things one could do for sport. Wrestling tests all aspects of the human body.

In most sports, it is imperative to be well hydrated and to eat nutritious meals. This will ensure the body has enough energy and fuel to perform well and get through a game or practice. However, wrestling is not like these sports. Most serious wrestlers will cut body weight in order to have an advantage at the lower weight classes.

“The advantage to losing weight is being able to wrestle at a lower weight class, where you could be more successful because you are usually stronger than those who don’t cut or lose weight,” senior wrestler Keegan Schultschik said. “But if you eat poorly, you are going to feel sluggish and perform poorly, just like any other sport. Eating healthy and staying hydrated is the most important thing if you want to be successful.”

Wrestlers follow a restrictive diet to maximize healthy weight loss. A gradual weight loss of one to two pounds per week is considered to be healthy. In some cases, wrestlers can drop three pounds in a week. For all wrestlers, more than three pounds of weight loss a week will result in losing muscle as well, thus being counterproductive.

“Wrestling gets the bad reputation of being the sport that you have to starve for, but in reality it all boils down to how hard you’re willing to work and being disciplined in your diet,” senior wrestler Thomas Tobin said.

Along with this strict weight loss program, wrestlers are expected to practice every day for approximately two hours. The wrestling room is kept at a very high temperature in order to keep muscles loose and to increase weight loss through sweating. It is similar to having an intense practice in a sauna.

The Xavier varsity wrestling team will compete next on Thursday, January 4 at 5:30 p.m. at Linn-Mar High School.

Thomas Bean

Sports Writer