Misfits prove the doubters wrong

Football players, cheerleaders, and coaches pose with the state championship trophy in the UNI Dome after beating Pella 31-13 on Thursday, November 16. Camryn McPherson Photo.

Will Hanigan, Sports Writer

They called themselves the misfits. A bunch of inexperienced second string players who found themselves thrust into the limelight. However, after their 31-13 win over Pella on Thursday, November 16, the Xavier Saints football team proved their own name wrong and became state champions for the first time since 2006. While their nickname was originally intended for their defense, it spread throughout the entire team. This was extra motivation for the Saints on their march to a state championship.

“We called ourselves the misfits because no one believed in us all year,” senior defensive end Cole Goerdt said. “The so-called ‘experts’ predicted us to lose so many games this year, and this really motivated us.”

The Saints played nothing like misfits on November 16, with a series of long run plays, huge sacks, and a few trick plays. The Saints’ first drive of the game lasted 13 plays and ended with a touchdown by senior fullback Joey Drahozal. Another notable play came at the end of the first half with a trick play; junior quarterback Quinn Schulte threw a lateral pass to senior receiver Gabe Lux, who then threw to senior fullback McClain Burger for a touchdown. This was a major turning point in the game, according to Lux.

“Big plays always help give momentum in any game. They hype the team and student section up,” Lux said. “This one really helped calm some championship nerves going into halftime and let us play freely in the second half.”

The seniors, having played together for most of their lives, ended their careers in the best possible way. While this year’s team may not have had the stars of years past, they gelled together and worked as a team to accomplish an undefeated season. For those who played their last snap, there was an array of emotions once the game ended.

“It was an incredible experience. It was so cool to be the second team to ever win in Xavier history,”  senior receiver Jack Scott said. “I was very proud of my teammates. It didn’t hit me that it was my last time playing football until I got on the bus, but we couldn’t have gone out in a better way.”

This group of misfits proved a whole state wrong, and made the whole Xavier community proud. Xavier will look to reload next year, with many starters returning. Their aim, as always, will be another state title.

Will Hanigan

Sports Writer