Know your spot

Lauren Nelson, Opinion Writer

I’m a patient person; I don’t show much anger or negative emotion. Nothing really makes me that mad, but something that really grinds my gears is how some people park, drive, and act in the Xavier parking lot.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all for hanging out in the parking lot, especially since it’s the only place for people to hang out if they don’t have their license. Just don’t cause a hazard to other people’s cars. If you’re playing catch or ultimate frisbee, PLEASE be aware of two things: one, there are tons of cars around you, whether they’re nice or beat up, they’re still someone’s property you need to respect. Two, I’ll go berserk if you hit my car.

Next, learn how to pull-through park. This concept truly is not that hard. If there is a spot in front of you, pull through. Parking this way makes it much easier for everyone. You, the parker, get to simply drive forward, which allows you to get out of the parking lot faster. I, the other parker, now get to pull forward behind your spot, instead of being forced to reverse.

One thing that is an actual rule is to park in your designated lot. This rule seems simple; administration even gave you a map. Yet some people are still unable to follow it, so I’ll break it down for you. Seniors, you get the best parking, and rightfully so, you did your time walking from the back of the lot in the freezing cold for many years; now get your reward. You’re in the middle of the activities lot and the front of the main lot, but you already knew this. Juniors, you get the second best parking. You too have walked through many mornings of unbearable wind. You get the area by the baseball field in the activities lot and behind the seniors in the main lot. Sophomores and freshmen, you are just learning how cold it gets in the morning like all of the classes above you, and we’re there for you. However, you still have to park in the farthest rows by the soccer field; it’s just the way it goes.

So, what did we learn? Pulling through is very important when it comes to parking in your lot, and you shouldn’t, under any circumstances, damage cars when hanging out in the parking lot. By knowing these guidelines, you can make the XPL Xcellent.