It’s your future

Senior Camyrn McPherson and her team pose for a picture following Sarah Abu Nameh’s match at the 2017 State Tennis Tournament. Camyrn McPherson Photo.

Camryn McPherson, Photo Editor

When I was little I wanted to grow up and play tennis at the US Open in New York, and now I want to design billboards in New York. Plans change, and now as I get ready to head off to college, I’ve realized what is really important.

As my fellow seniors choose their colleges, some are opting to play sports in college as well. This is a tough decision that will ultimately play a role in their future. Some are choosing a school based on sports alone, while some are focusing on academics. For me, sports should be second while education is my first priority. I have been dealing with this same decision for about six months now, and I’ve come to the realization that, in the end, I can’t make a wrong choice.

I’ve been playing tennis since fourth grade, and it has become my passion. I was lucky enough to be accepted onto Xavier’s varsity team my sophomore year, and it’s bittersweet as I enter into my senior season. Since sophomore year, I’ve improved but never thought my hard work would give me the chance to play at the collegiate level. Tennis was a way for me to make great friendships, not college deals. During my junior year season, we were competing at a meet against Waterloo Columbus.  I was playing the three-time defending state champion’s sister, so I knew it would be a tough match.  While I lost 10-7, I gave it my all and fought to the very last point. After talking to my coach, I went to sit with my teammates. As I was sitting there, I felt a tap on my shoulder. A man sat down and introduced himself as the Wartburg tennis coach. He told me he had watched my match and was impressed with my game. I was flabbergasted with what he was saying because I thought I hadn’t played my best in the match. We talked about the strengths and weaknesses of my match, and he ended the conversation with, “I would love for you to come and play at Wartburg.”

I shook his hand, and was trying to soak all the information in as I watched the rest of the match. My mom, sitting next to me, and I were trying to cope with all our emotions that came with the surprising encounter. My parents and I went on many college visits, including Wartburg. My parents were so excited about my offer, but I was still deciding if I even wanted to play in college. We went to Wartburg multiple times to get the feel of the college. My dad and I went to tennis meets to see if I wanted to join this community, and after it all, I decided I needed to really think about how important tennis is to me.

My dad told me I’m going to college for the education and not for the sport, and I couldn’t make the wrong decision. After a lot of thinking, and going back and forth, I decided tennis isn’t the most important thing to me. Now here I am, deciding between Iowa State and Wartburg, and I know I can’t go wrong either way. Maybe I’ll play tennis and maybe I won’t, but in the end, it’s going to be the right choice.

My advice to you, Saints, is that your future is up to you. Don’t let the money or a sport impact your decision. Find your passion and roll with it. I’ve found mine, and I’m excited for the journey ahead. I’ve discovered I want to create with photography, design, and writing. I want to use my photography to change the world. If I play tennis, great, and if I don’t, I know college will be amazing no matter what.  Even though it will be bittersweet after my last match as a Saint, I can’t wait for the journey ahead. I hope you can find yours.

Camyrn McPherson 

Photo Editor