Girls’ swimming takes on state

Washington+co-op+swimmer+senior+Lauren+Havertape+poses+with+her+coach+and+the+Washington+High+School+100+breaststroke+record+she+broke+in+the+regional+meet.+Brian+Hughes+Photo.+

Washington co-op swimmer senior Lauren Havertape poses with her coach and the Washington High School 100 breaststroke record she broke in the regional meet. Brian Hughes Photo.

Syd Walther, Sports Writer

The key to success is hard work and determination. The Cedar Rapids Kennedy and Washington girls’ co-op swimmers put their hard work to the test at the state meet on Saturday, November 4 at the Marshalltown YMCA. Senior Sarah Gannon and sophomore Maddie Gannon swam for Kennedy, and senior Lauren Havertape swam for Washington

Junior Sydney Harris was an alternate for Kennedy and senior Hannah Williams was an alternate for Washington.

The Gannon sisters swam the 400 Free Relay and placed 20th. S. Gannon was proud to get one last chance to display her hard work.

“I hope I showed the girls on my swim team, and even students at Xavier, that your attitude determines your altitude,” S. Gannon said.

M. Gannon also swam butterfly in the 200 Medley Relay and placed 16th. Alongside her was Havertape, who also swam butterfly and placed ninth

Havertape also swam in three other races. She placed seventh in the 200 Free Relay, eighth in the 100 Breaststroke, and 13th in the 100 Butterfly.

During her season, she broke the 100 Breaststroke record and was a part of the record breaking 200 Freestyle Relay. She attributes the success of her relays to rituals.

“We have weird traditions that we do before some of our relays,” Havertape said. “One of them is we have a water bottle filled with water from our pool, and we dump it on our heads before the race. Each relay has their own tradition.”

The state meet put an end to the season and the seniors’ careers. For those girls, this means moving on and finding a new passion.

“I will miss my friends. Some of my best friends came from swimming,” S. Gannon said. “I will also miss something I was successful at. After state, I will have to find new things I am good at or am interested in. It will be tough because swimming is alI I have ever done.”

For M. Gannon and Harris, the end of school swimming means the start of club season is just around the corner. Both are looking forward to next season and another shot at state.

Syd Walther

Sports Writer