Saints serve for the soul

Lauren Nelson, News Writer

Service is an impactful and selfless act that can make someone’s day within seconds. At Xavier High School, many students love performing different helpful acts in their free time. Some even plan their own service events. Seniors Paige Diebold, Katelyn Gibbs, and Kathleen Kenney are only a few examples of students who are getting involved with service.

Building houses may seem like it would be quite intense, but it is actually fun with the help of a few friends, according to Diebold. She and friends, seniors Nick Hentges, Kathleen Kenney,  Nina Marquardt, Grace Miller, and Nolan Pithan helped a retired veteran take care of her house.

“We had around 25 kids come over the course of the day,” Diebold said. “We completed the project in six hours and there was a lot of paint scraping!”

Diebold encourages many people to join in helping Habitat for Humanity.

“It’s a great organization that allows people to buy a house with a low down payment,” Diebold said. “Usually, the family will provide a substantial amount of labor in building their own house, along with the help of volunteers from the community. It helps those with not much money to be able to own a home.”

Diebold plans on getting more students involved with this program through the Senior Service Committee and Community Service Day.

Students do not only help in the way  Diebold does. Kenney and Gibbs have projects within Xavier that are fun and less time consuming for those with a busy schedule. All three girls are a part of the Senior Service Committee, which they were able to sign up for during their junior retreat. According to Kenney, it is one of her favorite things to do.

“I believe  service is love in action, and is an important part of treating those around you with respect,” Kenney said.

She invited elderly citizens to see Xavier’s musical Footloose, where students can also volunteer, during the dress rehearsal on November 8.

“It’s the same day as Community Service Day, and it’s a good way to keep spreading the service,” Kenney  said.

Footloose is not the only way the Saints can get involved. Gibbs is planning a day in which the custodial staff does not have to work.

“What students would do is anything a janitor would do at night. They would clean windows, vacuum carpet, sweep the floor, and collect trash and recycling from classrooms,” Gibbs said. This is a way to say a huge thank you to the janitors at Xavier.

Service is an  opportunity to help anyone in need, whether it is the school, local community, or the world. There are plenty of ways everyone can get involved. If students are interested in these events, contact Gibbs and Diebold.

Lauren Nelson 

News Writer