Fall Vocal Music Preview

Derrick Voss, A&E Writer

The Xavier choirs have performed for the first time this school year at their Fall Vocal Music Preview on Monday, October 16, at 7pm in the Regis-LaSalle Theater. There was no admission price and anyone was invited to attend and enjoy Xavier’s five choirs. This was the first of four concerts that they will be hosting this school year. The five choirs that performed are Bel Canto, Singing Saints, Voce, Women’s Chorale, and Xavier Chorale.

“There is a wide variety of musical styles and languages in these pieces. There’s a little bit of everything,” Choir Director Mr. Matt Walker said.

Pieces ranged from renaissance to spiritual, and many inbetween. Languages included English, German, Latin, Xhosa, and more. Additonally, the five choirs at differing levels brought a variety of music for listeners.

This concert proivided a new experience for multiple students. Many members advanced to the more experienced choir, Xavier Chorale. For others, this was their first experience singing with Voce, an extra-curricular chamber choir, or a cappella choir. Although some might think that this was just another concert for the choir members, for many it was just as exciting as their first.

“I guess I’d say I’m a little more excited this year because I’m in Chorale instead of Singing Saints,” junior Max Lesnik said.

The Xavier choirs’ next performance will be Christmas with Xavier on December 9 at 5 p.m. in the Ron-Thillen Gymnasium. Christmas with Xavier will also feature the Xavier Concert Band.

Derrick Voss 

A&E Writer