Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Xavier Key Club members help out at the Especially For You Race. Xavier Key Club Photo.

Maddye Cavanagh, News Assistant Editor

More than 14,700 people registered for the Especially for You Race and Walk on October 1. This event kicked off Breast Cancer Awareness Month in Cedar Rapids and raised over $389,000 for the Especially for You Fund, which helps people receive free mammograms and breast cancer scans. According to The Huffington Post, 12.7 million people are diagnosed with breast cancer every year. With help from events like these, cancer patients are able to receive financial help while fighting their battle. Many people, including junior anna mlodzik, participated in this event, whether they were walking, running, or volunteering.

“My dad and I were invited to run with his Farrell’s team. I’ve supported the race in past years and this year I decided to run it,” Mlodzik said.

Cancer affects millions of families each year. Along with battling cancer, families have to pay thousands of dollars for treatment. This disease cost the country  87.8 billion dollars in cancer related health care spending within a year, according to the American Cancer Society.

Along with raising money for the Especially for You Fund, registered teams came up with t-shirt designs to support a certain person or group.

“One of my brother’s close friends was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. During the race, we all wore t-shirts to support and encourage her,” Mlodzik said.

Over seven hundred cancer survivors registered for the race. Within the race, participants represented forty one states, four  hundred and twenty  U.S. cities and four different countries.

Running and walking was not the only way to get involved with this event.

“I handed out water cups to walkers and runners,” junior Jackson Miller said. “It was a Key Club event, and I thought it might be pretty fun.”

The race had well over 200 volunteers to help the event go smoothly. However, this is just one of the many events held to help breast cancer patients.

Within the month of October, Xavier High School holds events to raise awareness for breast cancer. One event was held on October 13. The Xavier student section wore pink at the Vinton-Shellsburg  football game to show support for anyone who has battled or is currently battling breast cancer. Throughout the whole month of October, many football players and cheerleaders can be seen wearing pink in support of those who fight the disease.

Maddye Cavanagh

News Assisstant Editor