Iversen runs towards happiness

Syd Walther, Sports Writer

It is hard to imagine running every day for 768 days straight, racking up 120 miles per month, waking up at absurd hours of the day to run in complete darkness with nothing but a headlight to see. Some might say anyone who does this is just plain crazy, but senior Claire Iversen is just plain happy.

On August 29, 2015, Iversen made a commitment to running, and she has not stopped. Her goal is to run at least one mile every day, even though she can sometimes run up to 13 at one time.

Along with this hardy commitment, there comes a plethora of struggles, especially finding the time.

“There have been many challenges because of various activities I am in, but I find the time,” Iversen said. “I ran before I got my wisdom teeth out, on Kairos, and even at 3 a.m. because I had to be on the bus for show choir at 5 a.m. I can get creative when finding time to do it.”

Her inspiration came from articles online, her new-found passion for cross country during her sophomore year, and Xavier 2017 cross country alum (Emiko Coffey, Annie Sigmon, Peyton Recker, and Katie Tallett).    Although they are gone from the sport, their impact is not forgotten.

“My motivators are last year’s upperclassmen. I looked up to them a lot last year,” Iversen said.

Despite every challenge, Iversen looks to keep up her running streak as long as possible.

“I want to keep it up as long as it makes me happy to do it, and I am not injured,” Iversen said.

This includes running after the cross country season has ended, which is her favorite time to run. Iversen loves to run along the Cedar Valley Nature Trail before school while listening to audiobooks and podcasts.

Her passion for running on her own can be seen by her teammates and coaches as well.

“She is dedicated and a great role model for the underclassmen,” assistant coach Bridget Lemker said. “She demonstrates what it takes to be a good runner and a great teammate.”

Iversen and the girls’ cross country team run again in the MVC Super Meet at the Dubuque Soccer Complex today, October 5, at 3:30 p.m.

Syd Walther

Sports Writer