Don’t ditch your dog

Maria Steffen, Sports Assistant Editor

I’m sure you all know what I’m talking about when I say “a man’s best friend.” That’s right, the furry animal in your home who, more than likely, IS your best friend. Your dog. The one who never fails to start barking at six in the morning when you really need your sleep. The one you can always count on being happy to see you. The one who will love you unconditionally for their entire life.
Think about it, we mean the whole world to our dogs. In fact, we ARE their whole world. The only life they know is where we go and what we do with them. So let’s make it awesome for them!
Spend as much time with your dog as you can when you’re home. Seriously. Oftentimes we find ourselves getting caught up in our busy lives and we put our dogs on the back burner. If your dog is anything like my big, lovable yellow lab Wendy (yes, six-year-old Maria thought this was a good name), they hate being left out. The endless cycle of your dog begging earnestly for attention will drive you insane. The simple fix to end this cycle would be to give your dog the attention and love they deserve.
According to Martha Roberts at Boots Health and Beauty Magazine, dogs can increase your happiness levels and improve fitness. Roberts says this can happen by spending only 20 minutes a day with your dog. 20 minutes! No matter how busy all of our high school lives can be, we can all still spare time for our dogs.
Remember, some day you will be without your dog. Whether it’s when we move out or they leave our lives for good, it will happen. Make your dog’s life the best it can be, and give them some love.