Xpress

The year is ours

Mary Tallett, Opinion Editor

Did you know time can bend and stretch but never move backwards? What is happening now, you will never be able to change or get back. This might seem obvious, but if so, then why don’t we appreciate the time we have? Another truth about time is that it moves faster than you expect. The majority of seniors, including myself, still can’t believe we are seniors. Where did the time go? Or as someone better with words said, “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory” -Dr. Seuss. Listen up freshmen, a wise, old senior is going to tell you which moments to watch out for in the upcoming future.
Moment one: The last time your mom or dad drives you to school. No longer will a friendly face sit by you and truly wish you have a good day. Appreciate their conversations, advice, or even complaints. Those car conversations will mean so much once the car goes quiet and it’s just you.
Moment two: Going to games with friends. Nothing’s quite like the feeling of driving on a Friday night to Saint’s Field. Everyone seems to be utterly decked out in school spirit. You feel young and ready to cheer on our Saints all night. Those Friday nights will mean so much once the Xavier gear is put away and the seasons are over.
Moment three: The school dances. It’s hard to beat dancing to extremely average music, surrounded by not-so-average people. Kick off your shoes and get your mental camera out, because that is the moment you want to remember. Those dances will mean so much once the homecoming shopping ends and the stress over a date is over.
Although that’s only three moments, I don’t want to dwell on the past because I still have another year. Another year of games, dances, and moments to create. So let’s talk seniors; here’s to our future moments.
Future moment one: Iowa Assessment testing. It’s our year, the year we don’t have to assess! Cheers to sleeping in.
Future moment two: Cheering in the front of the student section. It’s our year to lead cheers and yell louder than ever. Also, no more struggling to see what’s happening on the field. Cheers to the front row.
Future moment three: Senioritis. Slowly watching the epidemic spread from senior to senior. Don’t worry, we will get through it together. Cheers to teamwork.
Again, that’s only three moments but I don’t want to plan the future. I want to appreciate what happens, when it happens because time is a funny thing. It may bend and it may stretch, but it will never let me live a moment again.

• The year is ours

Showcase

Cover: Senior Issue

• The year is ours

Backpage

In the Blink of an Eye: Newspaper Senior Staff

• The year is ours

Arts & Entertainment

Saints shine at Galaxy

• The year is ours

News

2nd annual Senior Walk

• The year is ours

Showcase

Cover 5/3

• The year is ours

Backpage, Feature and Mini, Health and Lifestyle, and Student Life pages

Prom through the Decades

• The year is ours

How to: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

• The year is ours

Backpage

Promposals

• The year is ours

Arts & Entertainment

Cartoon Student Circus

• The year is ours

Showcase

Seniors lead hopes for state soccer

The student news site of Xavier High School
The year is ours