Xavier welcomes new A.D.

Jenae Marshall, News Writer

Xavier High School welcomes their third activities director in school history. Andrew Umthun was hired as the new activities director in March 2017 before the 2017-2018 school year.
Umthun graduated from Dowling High School in West Des Moines and his collegiate career included the University of Northern Iowa and a master’s degree from Wayne State University. He previously taught at Bishop Heelan Catholic High School and at Estherville Lincoln Central High School in Northwest Iowa. He was the A.D., Assistant Principal, and the head
football coach at Estherville. For Mr. Umthun, coming to Xavier was a professional move with bigger opportunities. With his coaching background, he would have loved to coach, but in order to be a successful activities director he needed all of his attention focused on the activities programs.HethoughtXavierwas the right t because it was an opportunity to have an impact at a bigger school in a bigger conference. He also had the desire to come to Xavier because he attended Dowling Catholic High School, and therefore had a strong
belief in Catholic education.
“He’s a Catholic school guy, he went to Dowling and he taught and coached at Heelan, so he’s got a good background in Catholic education. We thought that was an important part of the mix. He’s an outgoing guy and is very supportive of all of our events,” Xavier Principal Tom Keating said. “He brings enthusiasm, support for students with the activities they’re involved in, hard work, and faith.”
During the school year, Umthun will face many challenges coordinating the activity schedules. He must make sure everything runs smoothly and goes as planned.
“My goals for this year are to assist all our coaches and activities directors, strengthen programs we already have, which are obviously very stellar already, and make sure seasons run smoothly and help them advance,” Umthun said.
Umthun is excited about the school year and the success of the activities programs.