Durin shines at big meets

Keera Ball, Sports Writer

When it comes to big meets, senior George Durin shines. Durin traveled across the country to compete in the big time Futures Meet. This event was held in Lewisville, Texas from August 3rd-6th, 2017. He traveled and competed with the Linn-Mar Swim Team.
To attend this event, one can be any age, but must achieve a certain time standard. Durin did this in his three events; the 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, and 100 breaststroke.
“Attending the Futures Meet was a great experience,” Durin said. “I had a great time with my teammates and coaches.”
The Futures Meet is a national level meet held in four different locations across the United States. Durin’s location, in Texas, hosted teams from fifteen different states; including Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
“I would love to go back again,” Durin said. “It is a blast to travel to big meets across the country and race in fast pools.”
However, Durin’s work is not done yet. There are big expectations for him this winter. He plans on winning state titles.
“I gained a lot of experience racing on the big stage, against some of the best swimmers in the country. From here, I see myself qualifying for Winter Junior Nationals this December, and bringing home a couple of state titles this high school season,” Durin said.
Durin will have a big role this high school season. He will compete with Washington High School, as a part of the swimming co-op in Cedar Rapids. He looks to be a leader this season.
“George is an excellent leader for our team. He leads by example, as well as verbally. He can swim a variety of strokes well and is always willing to do whatever is best for the team,” Washington High School Coach Chris Cruise said. “George is always at his best in big meets. His best performances have historically been at Conference, Districts and State, our three biggest meets of the year.”
Looking into the future, collegiate swimming could be a potential option for Durin. Building off of the last three years, big performances look to be coming this winter.
“I think George can be an individual state champion in multiple events, as well as swimming on a couple of relays that can finish in the top three,” Cruise said. “If George continues to build on what he has done the last three years and continues to push himself, I think he can swim collegiately as well.”
Boys’ swimming will be back in action, Monday, November 8th, as they begin their first day of practice.